Friday, January 6, 2012

Leaving a Legacy

Sometimes, my job as a pastor takes me to really awesome things. For instance, tonight I am going to spend the night at Dave & Busters in Columbus with a bunch of teenagers. I mean, seriously, this is my job!?

Last week, I had the distinct honor of holding a newborn in my arms and celebrating with his parents as they welcomed their new son into the world.

There are days when I look in the mirror and say, I get paid to do this?

Being a pastor is awesome. But then there are things that I do that aren't nearly as fun. Funerals would be near the top of this list.

Last week, the same day that newborn was born, I attended a funeral of a man I never met. His great-grand daughter is a part of my youth group.

He had been married to his wife for 63 years! Sixty three years! I'll be honest, I missed a lot of the funeral because I was so focused on that fact. They were married for 63 years. They had children. Their children had children. Their children's children had even begun having children!

And here they all were, celebrating the life of this man who, according to everything I heard in the service was basically a saint.

So, now I sit back and I wonder, what did he feel like when his wife told him that he was going to be a daddy for the first time? Did he know that he would leave this incredible legacy of children, grand children and great-grand children who love Jesus?

I'm more convinced today than I was early last week about the importance of fatherhood and the incredible privilege and honor that it is to be counted among that group.

May I never forget the importance of leaving a legacy for my children, ensuring that they understand how awesome Jesus is, and what a great privilege it is to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment